September 28, 2011

Grandpa Chappell

:Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter:
  ~Mark Twain


on brandons last vacation home, we had the joy of spending time with his family in their small little town down south. he has many family members who live there and it's always so much fun to visit!

on this trip, we got to spend time with grandpa chappell in his workshop.
this was truly amazing.
you see, grandpa is 91 years old.
I swear.
and he's still at it!

grandpa is a very talented craftsman.
(he actually drew the plans for our house!)
he can make the neatest things out of piece of wood.
..I would see just a tree branch..
but, not grandpa.
he sees wooden spools, decorative balls, or little boxes.

grandpa's shop 

grandpa working on some decorative balls. 

I love his hands. they show years of hard work. 

brandon with his grandpa.

while down visiting. I started talking with grandpa. he was telling me how would love to be able to sell his items, but he just wasn't sure how.
so I told him about etsy.
and how I could help him sell his hobby.
I'm pretty sure I saw excitement in his eyes.
yes. pretty sure I did.

so, later grandpa sent up some wooden spools that he had made.
I personally love vintage wooden spools.  I have seen raw wooden spools at craft stores before, but they always seemed so uniformed.
but grandpa's spools made me very excited because they really looked vintage!
each one was so unique.
so beautiful.

after getting a bunch of them, I went to work.
I started messing around with stains and string.  pins and papers.
and this is what I got:

vintage inspired wooden spool name place cards 

-or- just vintage inspired wooden spools

and with the larger one, just a beautiful decorative spool.


grandpa and I are both happy with the way these have turned out.
I love seeing grandpa happy to be able to work again.

these spools will be available for purchase on my etsy store.
..all profits from sales will go directly to grandpa..

2 comments:

Faund Images said...

I am in LOVE with the photos of grandpa! I love what you've done with the spools! I simply LOVE YOU!

foktory said...

we also love this. I almost cried knowing that hes 91 and you helped him sell what he makes with his own two hands! Great work, would love these for my girl that knits for our collaborative etsy shop!

keep it up,
basement6

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...